Thứ Sáu, 28 tháng 6, 2013

Cách sử dụng I wish & If only




THE USE OF 'I WISH & IF ONLY'


There are three distinct types of  I wish / if only  sentences:
  1. Wish, wanting change for the present or future with the simple past.
  2. Regret with the past perfect.
  3. Complaints with would + verb.

1. Expressing a wish: (thể hiện một mơ ước)

Form:

If only / I wish + simple past
Example:

  • If only I knew how to use a computer. (I don’t know how to use a computer and I would like to learn how to use it)
  • If only I didn’t have so much homework I could go to the concert tonight. (She has a lot of homework and she can’t go to the concert.)
  • I wish you didn’t live so far away. 
  • I wish I knew what to do. 

Use:

  • To express a wish in the present or in the future.
  • The simple past here is an unreal past.
  • When you use the verb to be the form is “were”.
    Example:
    I wish I were a millionaire!

2. Expressing regret: (thể hiện sự nuối tiếc)

Form:

If only / I wish + past perfect
Example:

  • If only I had woken up early. (I didn't wake up early and I missed my bus.)
  • I wish I’d studied harder when I was at school. (I didn’t study harder when I  was at school).
  • I wish I hadn’t eaten all that chocolate. I feel sick.(I ate all that chocolate)
  • If only I’d known you were coming.

Use:

  • To express a regret.
  • The action is past.

3. Expressing complaining and anoying: (thể hiện sự phàn nàn, khó chịu)

Form:

I wish / if only + would + verb
Example:
  • I wish you wouldn't arrive so late all the time (I'm annoyed because you always come late and I want you to arrive on time)
  • I wish you wouldn’t borrow my clothes without asking. 
  • I wish it would rain. The garden really needs some water. 
  • I wish you’d give up smoking. it’s really bad for you. 

Note: We can only use wish + would to talk about things we can’t change.

So I wish I wouldn’t eat so much chocolate is not possible although we can say I wish I didn’t eat so much chocolate.

Use:

  • To complain about a behavior that you disapprove.
  • Expressing impatience, annoyance or dissatisfaction with a present action.
***************************************************************************** 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
***************************************************************************** 

DO THE EXERCISE

1. Decide whether these statements express a "wish" or a "regret":

  1. I wish I could fly. (Regret/ Wish )
  2. If only she had seen the doctor earlier. He could have saved her. (Regret/ Wish)
  3. If only I traveled to New York. (Regret /Wish )
  4. I wish I were a doctor. (Regret /Wish)

2. Choose the correct answer:

  1. Alice didn't get a good grade. She wishes she (worked) had worked harder
  2. Tom likes football very much. He wishes he (become) became a professional football player.
  3. He was running very fast when he had a heart attack. If only he (not/run) hadn't run so fast.
  4. She's keen on computers. She wishes she (study) studied computer science next school year.
  5. I am sorry I don’t know how to use the computer. If only I (know) knew how to use it.
  6. I stayed late at work and missed the last bus. I wish I (stay) had not stayed at work late. 
(Tham khảo từ britishcouncil.org & myenglishpages.com)

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét